Wednesday, March 3, 2010

In my house

In one of my recent posts I shared my fun document I created for clients to help them figure out how to display their pictures. Now, to show off how I do it in my own house. I love it when I read posts like this, so here's hoping one of my readers does too. I just know that I'm always looking for ideas.

Now I need to add my *disclaimer*. I am not a designer. In fact I struggle with decorating. I tend to opt for the "less is more" theory a little too often. We've been in our current home for almost a year now and I still have empty walls ... and shelves ... and spaces that are begging for something. Anything! One of these days I hope to suddenly develop the talent of accessorizing. But until then ...

Okay, disclaimer over. On to the pictures.

Right as you walk in my front door, I have these four gorgeous faces staring at me:

These are 10x13 prints, in oversized frames that were originally intended for 8x10s. I just pasted my pictures on top of the mat, instead of putting them underneath as intended. Works for me ~ I struggled finding 10x13 frames that I liked.

In my dining room I have this collage of 16 8x8 prints. I love the collage, but it definitely feels unfinished on this big wall. I'm thinking of building a giant frame to put around it ... painting the wall a nice tan ... sticking a plant in the corner. Come'on, visualize with me :).

These prints were all mounted on styrene, which is kind of like a thin plastic material. They are attached to the wall with velcro-like strips. I love the velcro because I can mix and match them, change them up, switch them out ... but keep the general alignment the same:

In my family room, I have these four pictures lined up on the wall. All of these are your basic 8x10 in your standard black frame. Looks nice and classy:


Then above my fireplace, I have my favorite print of all: a 24x24 gallery-wrapped canvas. I LOVE IT!


This gives you an idea of how the canvas wraps around. This is a 1.5" wrap. My company also offers them at 2.5 inches. Prices for these are not listed on my website, so clients need to contact me separately if they are interested. Believe me, they definitely give a "WOW" impact when seen in person.

In my office I have these ten 8x10 prints hanging on the wall. I simply mounted these on black cardstock and stuck 'em right up. Also something easy to switch out as I get new favorites:


Are you all enjoying the tour of my house? Ha ha ha. Upstairs, I have these four pictures right above my bed. I fully intend to hang them on the wall, but until that happens, they are just propped up on the headboard.

So there are moments when I don't love how much detail my camera captures ... for example, the dust on my headboard. The curse of black furniture ...

In my boys' room (yes... all three are in one room), I have these crazy pictures:

This one is called a float wrap. The image wraps around the sides, and it has a block on the back that makes the picture stand out from the wall. Very cool and contemporary. I had this one printed as an 8x12, because I didn't want to lose any of the original image to the crop:

This is a 12x12 print that is just hangin' loose on a couple of clothespins:

My two oldest are absolutely and completely crazy about Star Wars, so I printed up these collages I made of them in their Halloween costumes from this year:


These are 12x12 prints mounted on 1/4" foam board, which makes it easy to just prop them up.

In the Little Lady's room, I have this grouping of prints right as you enter the door. It is made up of a 10x15, a 5x7, and an 8x8. These are all mounted on styrene and velcroed to the wall again.

I absolutely love this group of three 11x14s. These are all mounted on foam board.

And there ya have it. Lots of different options of ways to mount and display prints! All of these mounting options are available to my clients with their print order.

Um ... now I feel like I need to say something like ... thanks for visiting my home today!

12 comments:

Mary March 3, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

Having never been to your house-I really enjoyed the tour!

Megan March 3, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

Heidi! I love how you've filled your walls! The pictures of the boys in their Star Wars costumes are awesome. I don't collage very much because it always looks so cluttered, but I like how you did them frameless as they look neat and tidy. I also like that you went BIG on some of them like the ones of Hannah in her room. Nicely done! When are you coming to do my house?

Sheryl March 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

These are wonderful Heidi! I've been seeing ALOT of the pics latley mounted on styrene, I think I'll have to try it!

Tricia Nugen March 3, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

These are amazing. After reading that my mind is swimming with ideas. I love the collage in your dinning room. If you can't find a frame for it why not just paint a big square in a contrasting color on the wall and hang the collage in the center! It would add definition. Thank you sooo much for always sharing and giving us great ideas!

the Wilcox Family March 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

That was a fun tour of your home! Now I don't feel as out of the loop having not seen it yet. I loved the groupings with the black frames--kinda partial :). And Hannah's room is adorable!

Barbara March 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

Love your tour, it's great to see ideas, it's so hard to decide how to display things. I do groupings with all black frames too, always looks elegant but still casual and simple.

Jeanette Roylance March 3, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

That was fun! You've done a great job. Wish you could come fill my still empty walls (and we've been here 5 1/2 years!!)

The Carter Family March 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas!!!!! I'm mostly a simple frame kind of girl, but I have to tell ya.........LOVE LOVE LOVE the 8x8 collage you have in your dining room!!!! The velcro idea is fab, I love the idea of switching them around and changing it up as time goes on!!!

Heidi March 3, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Love it, although I could sit and look at pictures of beautiful homes all day (sometimes, I do :)! I know you showed them to me in person, but it's fun to see the photos of them. Boy, I wish photos of my house would look that great! We should get a decorator to hire you to take pictures for them! Anyway, love it, and thought I'd share this blog post that you might find interesting:
http://www.thenester.com/2010/03/6795.html
(She's my all-time favorite, love her decorating style, so cozy!)

Actually, I should share your post with her because I think her pics could be spruced up a bit and anyone would love to see what you've done with the canvas!

Michelle March 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

Your house looks AMAZING!!! How fun to decorate with your own photography!

Coley March 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

I love all of it. I think my favorite - mainly because I'd never seen it done like this - is the groupings of 8 x 8 photos. I love how easy it sounds to change them out. It would be cool at the holidays to throw in a few Christmas themed ones or some beachy ones in the summer or something. Love it!

Anonymous January 27, 2011 at 4:43 AM  

Wow - I love your photos and the way you display them. You would never need to buy artwork with a talent like yours - great job!


Searching for Something?

Archive

Button for your blog!

Wishful Thinking Photography

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP