Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Devan

There are the pictures that I take and then there are the images not captured by my camera, but that replay in my head. Memories of laughing during a session, interesting facts learned about my clients as we walk and talk together, seeing locations through another's eyes, the inevitable goofy things that I do ... I love how people let me be part of their lives for just an hour and how quickly that hour can translate into a new friendship.

There are many memories playing through my head of the experience I had with Devan as we got together for his senior pictures. We talked about his upcoming birthday several times. About his uncanny ability with numbers. I saw his joy as we revisited one of his favorite childhood spots. In many ways Devan is a typical teenager ~ checking his cell phone during our session, headphones in his ears, passionate about video games ... but he is also very different as well, as he has a high-functioning form of autism. It made my job challenging in ways, especially as I tried to help Devan pose and yet look casual at the same time ... but so rewarding as well, as I got to get a glimpse of what a remarkable person he is. I feel so grateful that his parents gave me the opportunity to take his senior pictures and spend an afternoon with them.

I came home from Devan's session and immediately called one of my sisters, who also has a son on the autism spectrum, and made her promise to get senior pictures of my nephew someday. And of course I hope that I will be the one to take them.










My favorite "uncaptured image" of Devan? The memory of him in my home, when he came with his parents for his image presentation appointment. He sat down at the piano and wowed me with his ability ... and entertained my boys with a fabulous rendition of the Star Wars theme song. He played several songs while at my home and I could have listened to several more. He definitely has an amazing gift and I am so grateful he shared it with me!

4 comments:

The Grounds Family February 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM  

Great job Heidi! I work with these kinds of kids everyday in my paying job and would love to focus on them in my photography. Your photos are great and appear to capture who he is. Your blog post just puts the "frosting on the cake" so to speak. Thanks for sharing.

The Carter Family February 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

Great pictures Heidi! My favorite is the one under the black and white...what a great smile this teenage boy has :)

JaNae February 24, 2011 at 10:03 PM  

Great shots of a handsome boy, whoops, young man! :)

Coley March 5, 2011 at 3:24 AM  

You did a great job on these pictures!

My son is autistic and it can be rather hard to get photos that capture who he really is. In fact, I got so tired of photos that didn't really capture him that that is what developed my initial interest in photography.


Searching for Something?

Archive

Button for your blog!

Wishful Thinking Photography

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP