Friday, March 5, 2010

Michelle. {Maternity Shoot}

It is very fun to shoot with a friend. It is even more fun when that friend is a talented photographer. Who knows all sorts of cool tricks with lighting. And brings along a big giant reflector for you to practice with. And shares lots of tips and teaches you things.

Yeah, you can pretty much say I was thrilled to bits when my friend Irene Jones invited me along on a maternity shoot she was doing for Bump magazine. And brought along the cutest mom to model for us. After three girls in a row (including a set of twins!), she is expecting a boy in just a couple of months. So exciting.

We started out by capturing a few shots in the baby's nursery. I was trying my best to be "eager assistant" during this portion, and didn't get a whole lot of shots in. We were using 2 off-camera flashes and a gigantic scrim (Seriously. HUGE.) to mimic window light. Both Irene and I were on the same group and channel so we could just share the flashes, but that meant I couldn't shoot at the same time she did ... and since I was just tagging along, I also couldn't hog the flash. So I snuck a few shots in here and there whenever I could. Here are two of my favorites:


Then it was off to the beach for some natural-lighting shots. This is when Irene pulled out her big ol' reflector for me to play with. And let me tell you, it was fun! I loved being able to direct the light onto Michelle's face. Definitely going in my shopping cart next time I go wild at B&H.

And can I just say ... I really love all of the beautiful beaches we have near my home in Washington ...







I am absolutely, completely, head-over-heels, in love with this last shot of Michelle with her girls. Is it okay to love your own photography this much?!

This was my first maternity shoot I have ever done, and I have to say I had a ton of fun, so thanks Irene and oh-so-cute-mom Michelle for the great afternoon together!

(Want to see Irene's shots from this afternoon? Visit her facebook album {here}

10 comments:

the Wilcox Family March 5, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

I like the last one, too! Gotta love sunsets on the water. I'm sure Michelle loves these to pieces!

The Carter Family March 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM  

I love the silhouette photos too!!!!! They're so sweet and I just love all of the subtle color (like the orangy glow around their hair). Great pics!!

Andrea March 5, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

I love the silhouette kids one and the hands on the belly... very cute!

Michelle March 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

How fun to be blogged about Heidi! Thanks for the compliments. You did a fabulous job! Yes, I love these pictures. I had no idea what I was missing out on until you and Irene did these pictures... Thanks!

Shannon Morgan Photography - Bainbridge Island, WA Photographer March 5, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

so beautiful!!!

Heidi March 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

Wow, that last one is just breaktakingly beautiful! I bet Michelle is just thrilled to have all of them! Very fun!

emma d. March 5, 2010 at 3:48 PM  

the sunset ones are incredible!

Sheryl March 7, 2010 at 7:12 AM  

oh, that last one just melts me! I want one, well except with prego belly, LOL! Great captures!

Sheryl March 7, 2010 at 7:13 AM  

with OUT.... WITH OUT.... prego belly, O-Lord, please don't! :)

Irene Jones March 12, 2010 at 8:01 AM  

Yes, I'm a little slow but I'm catching up! Thanks for the kind words and links! The shoot did come out well, it's interesting to see the difference in our styles too. We may have been standing side by side but the photos are unique. Proof positive that it's how you see it and not what you are looking at that makes a photographer. Let's do this again soon. Call me and we'll set up some shoots. Craigslist is a great resource for models and make up artists, wanna learn how to shoot fashion style portraits? :)
Check out my website, I put two photos of Michelle up under the Maternity pricing section.
http://portraits.ijphoto.net/pricing


Searching for Something?

Archive

Button for your blog!

Wishful Thinking Photography

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP